"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Quick Sidetrip to Morelia

On Friday the 9th we took off early on the "directo" bus to Morelia,
the capitol city of Michoacan. It was about a 4.5 hour ride up to Morelia.
The trip was fairly scenic and after awhile I became kind of ambivalent about the
style of driving in Mexico. As one local said to me-
"I am in God's hands".....my reply was-
"Well, I hope he is helping the driver"
Morelia is a huge city full of cars and people and cathedrals on every corner.
Today, Sunday the 11th is a big election in this state for the Governor and other
government positions. There were lots of demonstrations while we were there and about 24
people were arrested in the Central Square for posting information that was false .
Or that is what I think I read in the local paper headlines.
The city felt tense, but maybe that was because no alcohol was being allowed
to be sold in restaurants, bars or stores over the election weekend.
Two days were enough to satisfy my curiousity and we are glad to be
back in Zihuatanejo...a sleepy and peaceful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!