"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." ~George Bernard Shaw

"Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time." ~Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Magpie #44....and 44.5

Snowy Days

Let's grab our sleds

and head for the hills

The really steep ones

With thrills and spills

Remember all the fun?

Come on-let's take a run!

When I was a child living in Cambridge, Massachusetts I went to a school that actually had sleds and such in the recess shed. What glorious times we all had piling onto the sleds and sliding down the hills. We might end up being soaked and shivering from the snow, but we'd go back into the warm school happy and relaxed from such wonderful play. Good old Flexible Flyers!


Here's some silly bits.... just for fun....

Thrashing through the snow
In a Red two person sleigh
O'er the hills we go
Laughing all the way
Bells on parkas ring
Making spirits bright
What fun it is to laugh and sing
A sledding song tonight

Oh, jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a Red two person sleigh hey!
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a Red two person sleigh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Wreck the hills with screams so jolly,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Tis the season for lots of folly,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Don we now our snow apparel,
Fa la la, la la la, la la la.
Roll out the ancient sledding barrel,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

See the blazing fire before us,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Drink the cocoa and join the chorus.
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Follow me in merry leisure,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
As I fall off the snowy pleasure,
Fa la la la la, la la la la.

28 comments:

  1. I hope today's kids are sledding as much as we did! I have many wonderful memories of exhilarating fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly identify with this..super!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sleds at recess...what a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A school that had sleds for recess, sounds brilliant! And unusual! Enjoyed the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, the thrills and spills! Lucky you to have had sleds at school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun in the snow... and at school too! Couldn't happen now.; Along with the spills we have legislated away the thrills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet! I missed all that going up in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the last one falalalalaaaalalalalaaaaaaaaaaa.
    You were having fun with this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha...loved your play on the christmas carols...lol. wreck the halls...smiles. we used to tear it up on our sleds...

    ReplyDelete
  10. very adoring writing. Makes me long for days gone by. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great school! Such funtastic memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:40 AM

    This bought a smile to a dreary morning - thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Kathe: Wonderful memories of those idyllic days!"Head for the hills!" Yeah! Fun! Love the song. Sorry about my channelling Stephen King rendition; I seriously love sleighing even tubing!(I just keep my eyes closed then I can do anything (almost!):*)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, man. In Winter, our recess was to stand still and stay dry.

    What a great memory. (Yours, not mine) : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, what fun it was - a delightful read you've crafted here. Magic and more magic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh I can feel the glorious wet clothes and frozen feet right now....!!
    nice

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had such fun with this prompt - wonderful:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with Janice! Sleds at recess (or at home after school) were the absolute best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely, I dont think I have ever seen a real life sled, although we are starting to get Artic winters here in Ireland, so maybe I will invest in one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great work! You have a holiday Spirit!

    Wysteria

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the sled of my childhood! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. your happy words dragged me towards my carefree days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How much fun it was to go,

    to recess in your school!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My father was from Waltham though my parents divorced when I was about eight and, being military, we moved quite a bit. We were stationed in Austria when I was from 3 - 6 - lots of snow there. I moved to Cambridge to live briefly with my dad when I finished nursing school - worked at McLean Hospital in Belmont, lived in Concord and Lexinton. Never did much sledding, though.

    Have been in the San Francisco area now for 33 years and don't miss the snow. If I want a "fix", Lake Tahoe and the Sierras are only four hours away.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous1:06 PM

    heheheh...awesome!!!! I remember doing that a coupla years back in Tahoe! Phhewww... it tired the hell outta me :)
    But now, I am sooo waiting for snow! :)

    Loved you sweet magpie!! And come to think of it, mine is on similar lines too.. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  26. I cannot tell you how much I love reading about your childhood recess sledding in Massachusetts. Fantastic joy!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will attempt to reply to each one. However, lately I have been getting "Unknown" comments that are linked to some sort of web page. I will never open this sort of comment and will immediately mark as spam. I am not interested in opening something that could be detrimental to my blog security etc. Never have enjoyed hackers! Thanks!